Before choosing to join a specific clinical study, it is important to talk to your doctor, even get a second opinion if necessary. The following are some questions you may want to ask.
It is best to begin with understanding your type of cancer and the treatment options associated with it.
- What are my options to treat this kind of cancer?
- What treatment would you suggest for me? Why would you recommend this specific type?
- Would surgery be an option for my condition? What surgery would you recommend?
- What are the odds of my recovery from each treatment recommended?
- Is a clinical study the right choice for my situation?
- How do the research study treatments compare to the standard treatment?
- Where can I find out more information about studies for my kind of cancer?
- Is a cancer specialist needed for my treatment?
- What if I wanted a second opinion on the best course of treatment for me?
About the clinical study
- What is the purpose of this research study?
- When would I begin receiving the treatment?
- What are the potential benefits of enrolling in the research study?
- Where will the treatment be administered?
- How will the treatment be offered?
- How many treatment sessions will I be needing?
- How long will these sessions last?
- Should I bring someone with me to the treatment sessions?
- What kinds of tests and treatments are a part of the research study?
- How could being in the research study change what I do every day?
- What treatments could I get if I do not take part in a clinical study?
- What are possible short- and long-term side effects for me and my family to think about?
- How do the risks and side effects of the standard treatment compare with the new treatment?
- How long will the research study last?
- Will I have check-ups after the research study?
- How long do I have to make up my mind about joining this research study?
- How can I tell if treatment is working?
- What is personalized medicine?
- What are some potential side effects from the treatment?
- Are there any side effects that may happen throughout my treatment sessions?
- Are there any specific side effects I should be concerned about and inform you of?
- Will there be any permanent effects of the treatment?
- Will the treatment affect my chances of having children?
- Are there any ways to help prevent side effects?