You likely have questions about their clinical study. Below are some questions that you may ask your loved one and suggest they ask their provider.
It is best to begin with understanding their type of cancer and the treatment options associated with it.
- What are your options to treat this kind of cancer?
- What treatment does your doctor suggest? Why do they recommend this specific type?
- Would surgery be an option for your condition? What surgery is recommended?
- What are the odds of your recovery from each treatment recommended?
- Is a clinical study the right choice for your situation?
- How do the research study treatments compare to the standard treatment?
- Where can we find out more information about studies for your kind of cancer?
- Is a cancer specialist needed for your treatment?
- What if you wanted a second opinion on the best course of treatment?
About the clinical study
- What is the purpose of this research study?
- When would you begin receiving the treatment?
- What are the potential benefits of enrolling in the research study?
- Where will the treatment be administered?
- How will the treatment be offered?
- How many treatment sessions will you be needing?
- How long will these sessions last?
- Should you bring someone to the treatment sessions?
- What kinds of tests and treatments are a part of the research study?
- How could being in the research study change what you do every day?
- What treatments could you get if you do not take part in a clinical study?
- What are possible short- and long-term side effects for you to think about?
- How do the risks and side effects of the standard treatment compare with the new treatment?
- How long will the research study last?
- Will you have check-ups after the research study?
- How long do you have to make up your mind about joining this research study?
- How can you tell if treatment is working?
- What are some potential side effects from the treatment?
- Are there any side effects that may happen throughout your treatment sessions?
- Are there any specific side effects you should be concerned about?
- Will there be any permanent effects of the treatment?
- Will the treatment affect your chances of having children?
- Are there any ways to help prevent side effects?